14 Lawyers from Armbrecht Jackson LLP recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
(Mobile, Ala) — Armbrecht Jackson LLP is proud to announce that fourteen of its attorneys have been named in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and that four of these attorneys were selected as “Lawyers of the Year” for 2021. One attorney was selected for inclusion in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch.
Only one lawyer is recognized as the “Lawyer of the Year” for each specialty and location. The following lawyers from Armbrecht Jackson LLP were honored as 2021 Lawyer of the Year in the Mobile area:
- Duane A. Graham for Business Organizations (including LLC’s and Partnerships)
- M. Kathleen Miller for Admiralty and Maritime Law
- James D. Smith for Corporate Law
- Norman E. Waldrop, Jr. for Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
The fourteen Armbrecht Jackson LLP attorneys honored in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 are:
- Conrad P. Armbrecht – Energy Law, Litigation – Environmental, Mining Law, Natural Resources Law, Oil and Gas Law, Real Estate Law
- Scott G. Brown – Litigation – Labor and Employment, Employment law – Management, Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Gregory P. Bru – Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Edward A. Dean – Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Banking and Finance, Litigation – Real Estate, Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Tamela E. Esham – Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants
- Richard W. Franklin – Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers
- Duane A. Graham – Natural Resources Law, Trusts and Estates, Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Commercial Finance Law, Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Broox G. Holmes – Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- M. Kathleen Miller – Admiralty and Maritime Law, Insurance Law, Commercial Litigation, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants
- Thomas P. Oldweiler – Banking and Finance Law, Financial Services Regulation Law, Litigation – Banking and Finance
- E. B. Peebles – Real Estate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Commercial Litigation, Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Commercial Finance Law, Corporate Compliance Law
- Kirk C. Shaw – Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment
- James Dale Smith – Corporate Law
- Norman E. Waldrop, Jr. – Legal Malpractice Law – Defendants, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants, Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants
Robert S. Walker is named to The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch for Commercial Litigation.
# # #
About Armbrecht Jackson LLP:
Armbrecht Jackson LLP law firm provides business and litigation services in a broad array of specialties. Founded in 1897 in Mobile, Alabama, the firm has built a reputation for excellence, with more than half of its current lawyers, including associates, listed in “Best Lawyers.: U.S. News rates the firm in Tier 1 in 21 practice areas, the most of any law firm in Mobile, Alabama. For more information visit ajlaw.com.
About Best Lawyers
Recognition in Best Lawyers is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, conferred on a lawyer by his or her peers. Best Lawyers’ lists of outstanding lawyers are compiled by conducting exhaustive peer review surveys in which tens of thousands of leading lawyers confidentially evaluate their professional peers. If the votes for a lawyer are positive enough for recognition in Best Lawyers, that lawyer must maintain those votes in subsequent polls to remain in each edition. Lawyers are not permitted to pay any fee to participate in or be recognized by Best Lawyers.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Armbrecht Jackson wins Shareholder Derivative case at Alabama Supreme Court
On March 27, 2020, the Supreme Court of Alabama announced that a team of Armbrecht Jackson’s business lawyers obtained an “extraordinary writ,” the writ of mandamus. In issuing the writ, the Supreme Court reversed the trial court and ordered dismissal of a shareholder derivative and breach of duty case filed against Armbrecht’s clients. Tom Oldweiler led Armbrecht’s team, which included Harris Oppenheimer and Robert Walker, in the multi-year litigation. The opinion of the Alabama Supreme Court announced a new principle of appellate review of shareholder derivative claims.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Armbrecht Jackson and CCSME Adopt a Base Program
Through a joint program with the American Bar Association Tax Section, the IRS, and the Armed Forces Tax Council, tax lawyers with the firm of Armbrecht Jackson recently had the opportunity to join with members of the firm of Crow, Constantine, Singleton, Morrow and Elliott, CPAs (CCSME), to assist local members of the armed forces with their training and instruction for tax preparation services. Through this Adopt-A-Base program, tax lawyers and CPAs are enlisted to “instruct the instructors”, by training military personnel to become volunteer tax return preparers for their fellow service members through what is called the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (“VITA”). This program is used by many military installations around the country to provide free tax preparation services for members of the armed forces in the local area.
The Armbrecht Jackson attorneys who participated as instructors were tax lawyers Robert Turnipseed and Steve Pearson. The CPAs for CCSME who participated were Bobby Crow and Jay Elliott. This year, the Adopt-A-Base program selected Ingalls Shipbuilding as its location for the training program, and the instructors provided training for seven new VITA instructors for the U.S.S. Delbert Black, DDG 119, which is currently under construction at Ingalls. The training took place on January 21 and 22, 2020.
“It was truly a pleasure for all of us to not only train some of our newest members of the Navy in tax preparation, but also to see them in action as they prepare to serve on one of our newest naval vessels,” said Mr. Turnipseed. “It is our hope that we can continue to recruit other tax lawyers and CPAs from the local community, both in Mississippi and Alabama, so that we can provide this service to other bases in the local area in the years to come.”
For more information about the ABA Tax Section’s “Adopt-A-Base” program, visit https://www.americanbar.org/groups/taxation/tax_pro_bono/assist_service_members/
Sign up for our Newsletter
Forbes honors Armbrecht Jackson LLP
MOBILE, Alabama—Armbrecht Jackson LLP has been named one of the top corporate law firms in the country by a recent survey.
The inaugural Forbes list of America’s Top Trusted Corporate Law Firms, released in October, included Armbrecht Jackson among the 243 entries that were selected from thousands of corporate law firms in the United States.
Statista collected survey responses from 2,500 attorneys in April and May of this year, and based on those responses, Armbrecht Jackson was recommended especially in the practice area of real estate. Also, Armbrecht Jackson is one of only five firms in Alabama and the only one headquartered in Mobile to be selected for this honor.
“We are delighted to have been selected for this list. Our attorneys work diligently to earn their clients’ trust in real estate transactions, as well as in banking and finance, oil and gas, aviation, medical malpractice, maritime, insurance and other practice areas.” said Duane Graham, managing partner of Armbrecht Jackson.
To view the list, visit forbes.com/top-corporate-law-firms and statista.com/page/top-corporate-law-firms-2019.